Thursday, October 16, 2008

Trash or Treasure Thursday

Wendigo (2001)

Acquired at: Blockbuster
Cost: $1.99

I shouldn't be reviewing this because I fell asleep halfway through. But I couldn't force myself to watch the rest of it.

I bought this movie way back when Blockbuster sold VHS movies. It was in a bin for $1.99 and I went a little overboard and bought a bunch of movies that I didn't really need.

The movie begins with a Deliverance-like scene. A family (Jake Weber, Patricia Clarkson, Erik Per Sullivan) driving up to their cottage hit a deer, which was a group of hunters' prey. They're angry that the deer has been killed and confront the family. The rest of the movie (or at least what I saw) one of the creepy hunters lurks outside their cabin, watches them making love, etc.

About a half hour/ hour into the movie, the Wendigo is finally mentioned. At a small shop, the boy is given a Wendigo figurine from the aboriginal shopkeeper. He tells him about the legend of the Wendigo, a cannibalistic beast that is half-man, half-deer.

That's pretty much all that happened before I fell asleep. This film was so dull. I'm surprised I made it halfway through before falling asleep. I was struggling to keep my eyes open the whole time. Nothing remotely scary happens, at least of what I saw.

I know I should watch the whole movie before reviewing it, but I can't bring myself to. It's painfully boring. The Wendigo isn't even mentioned until halfway into the movie. And when it's supposed to be creepy, for instance the scenes with the hunters, it fails miserably. So, I give Wendigo 1/5, making it trash. I'm warning you, don't watch it.

Rating: 1/5

No comments: