Wednesday, October 8, 2008

MOVIE REVIEW: The Lost Boys

After watching the new sequel, Lost Boys: The Tribe, I thought I would review the original. What makes this better than the sequel?

Well...everything. The script is better, the acting is better, the soundtrack is better, it's more entertaining...everything in the original is superior.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, The Lost Boys is about vampires. When Lucy Emerson (Diane Wiest) and her sons Michael (Jason Patric) and Sam (Corey Haim) move, Michael immediately falls for a girl named Star (Jami Gertz). Unbeknownst to him, she's a vampire. Sam, worried about his brother, befriends brothers Edgar (Corey Feldman) and Alan Frog (Jamison Newlander), two vampire hunters. Together, they must find and kill the head vampire.

I don't even like vampire movies. But for some reason I love this movie. It has an awesome blend of horror and comedy. The first time I saw it, I was drawn in by the wicked soundtrack (People are Strange playing when they move into the new town). And then I was hooked.

The characters are eccentric and interesting. I love the Frog brothers and the grandpa. They're all hilarious. And Kiefer Sutherland is such a badass in this movie, even more so than he is in 24. It makes me laugh to see Jami Gertz in her role as a vampire because I only know her from the sitcom Still Standing.

The plot moves quickly and I wasn't bored for a second. And I was shocked by who the head vampire was. The script is funny and very quotable. Just look at these gems:
"My own brother a goddamn, shit-sucking vampire! Oh, you wait 'til Mom finds out, buddy." - Sam Emerson
Edgar Frog: You did the right thing by calling us. Does your brother sleep a lot?
Sam Emerson: Yeah, all day.
Alan Frog: Does the sunlight freak him out?
Sam Emerson: Uh, he wears sunglasses in the house.
Edgar Frog: Bad breath, long fingernails?
Sam Emerson: Yeah, his fingernails are a little bit longer, um, he always had bad breath, though.
Alan Frog: He's a vampire all right.
Edgar Frog: All right, here's what you do: get yourself a good sharp stake and drive it right through his heart.
Sam Emerson: I can't do that; he's my brother.
Alan Frog: OK, we'll come over and do it for you.
Sam Emerson: No!
Edgar Frog: You'd better get yourself a garlic T-shirt, buddy, or it's your funeral.

"Death by stereo!" - Sam Emerson
"If you read the T.V. Guide, you don't need a T.V." - Grandpa
How could you not love this movie? Actually, when I took an elective in college about vampires and we watched this movie everyone in my class made fun of it. I hate watching movies I love with other people. If they don't like it I'm always disappointed. But I still love it and would recommend everyone to watch it. Even if you don't like vampires.

Rating: 4/5

No comments: