Wednesday, October 22, 2008

MOVIE REVIEW: Prom Night (2008)

In my last post I mentioned how I fell asleep during almost every movie I watched Thanksgiving weekend. The Prom Night remake was one of them. I almost made it to the end, but then I just couldn't keep my eyes open any longer. Yes, it is that slow and boring.

I'm not really a fan of the original Prom Night. I don't understand why it's a cult classic. I've seen it a few times, most recently last week, and I always think it will be better than I remember. But it's just a run-of-the-mill slasher flick with an interesting beginning and ending. But this isn't a review of the original.

The remake is even worse than the original. The plot is completely different, the only similarity is that it takes place on prom night.

Three years ago Donna (Brittany Snow) comes home to find her father and brother dead. She hides under a bed and watches her mother be murdered by her teacher (Jonathan Schaech), who is obsessed with Donna. He's caught and sent to jail, but escapes on prom night.

Prom Night is missing everything a movie requires to be interesting. The plot stinks. How many times have we seen a psycho escape from prison to come after someone? It's predictable, you can tell exactly what will happen, who will live and who will die. The dialouge is stale and boring. There is no suspense whatsoever. The killer is shown at the beginning of the movie, so there's no mystery or incentive to keep watching. There is very little gore. It isn't scary or creepy whatsoever, instead it's boring and slow.

I give Prom Night a 1/5. Don't watch it unless you want to fall asleep.

Rating: 1/5

No comments: