Thursday, July 16, 2009

MOVIE REVIEW: The Toxic Avenger

After buying another Troma film, Mother's Day, from The Beat Goes On for $5.99 and enjoying it, I thought I would check out The Toxic Avenger. It's one of their most popular movies and it was on FearNet for free so I thought it might be worth a look. And I would say it's one of the cheesiest, funniest, goriest horror movies I've ever seen.

Melvin is the nerdy mop boy at health club in Tromaville. When bullies play a prank on him, he ends up accidentally diving into a barrel of toxic waste. It turns him into a muscular mutant. Then he takes it upon himself to save the citizens of Tromaville from evil. And he falls in love with a blind woman. But the criminals in town want to kill Melvin a.k.a Toxie before he can kill them.

There were a lot of gory scenes, which were funny at the same time. Like the scene where Toxie uses things in a restaurant kitchen to kill robbers. Or the scene where he rips out the corrupt mayor's organs to "see if he has any guts" and then the mayor tries to shove them back into his stomach.

I loved Melvin's relationship with Sarah, a blind lady. Seeing this pretty lady paired up with a monster made me laugh.

Toxie makes such a great superhero. He's a grotesque monster who should be killing people instead of saving them. No one expects him to be nice, but he's helping old ladies with their groceries, saving kids from being run over, etc.

I definitely recommend this movie. It's funny and gory at the same time and I wasn't bored for a second.

Rating: 5/5

No comments: