Wednesday, July 15, 2009

MOVIE REVIEW: 2001 Maniacs

My favourite horror subgenre would have to be slashers, especially backwoods/cannibal/inbred hick movies (like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Wrong Turn, Deliverance). So when I saw that this movie was on FEARnet, I watched it immediately.

2001 Maniacs is about some college kids heading to the beach for Spring Break. But they come across a detour sign leading them to a strange town having a celebration in honour of the Civil War. They decide to stay, unaware that they're being killed off in preparation for the big feast.

This movie is a remake of Herschell Gordon Lewis's film Two Thousand Maniacs, which I haven't seen yet. I enjoyed his film The Wizard of Gore and this movie so I think I'll have to check it out.

I really enjoyed 2001 Maniacs. It mixes gore and humour together perfectly. And it stars a few horror favourites. Robert Englund played the mayor of the town (George W. Buckman) and there were cameos by Eli Roth, Kane Hodder and Travis Tritt.

I don't want to say too much about this movie because I don't want to give anything away. If you like horror movies with a little bit of gore and lots of humour, check this one out.

Rating: 5/5

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Because you recommended it, I watched this movie...

I liked it!

Unknown said...

I'm so excited they are making a sequel to this!

Melissa Helwig said...

Oh my God, I know! Can't wait!