Monday, March 8, 2010

MOVIE REVIEW: Bad Moon

I watched this entire movie on YouTube. It was actually pretty good quality too. I didn't even know that YouTube allowed users to post films for longer than a day before disabling them due to copyright infringement. But lately every time I look up a trailer, the entire film is on there as well, which is exciting for broke people like me.

Bad Moon
is based on the novel Thor by Wayne Smith. I couldn't acquire a copy in time to review it this week, but after watching this movie I really want to read it. According to the reviewers on Amazon, the novel is told from the dog's point of view, which sounds intriguing.

When Janet's (Mariel Hemingway) brother, Ted (Michael Pare), comes to live with her and her son (Mason Gamble, Dennis the Menace!), their German Shepherd, Thor (Primo, The Karate Dog), takes an instant disliking to him because Ted is a werewolf. And Thor will stop at nothing to protect his family.

There wasn't much of a plot to this film, basically it's just werewolf vs. dog. There weren't many characters (only two secondary characters) so only a couple people got killed by the werewolf. But those deaths were pretty gory. And the film was short - about 1 hr. 15 min. - so it held my interest despite the lack of plot.

The werewolf costume in the film looks very real and is definitely a step up from the awful CGI ghost wolves in Animals.

But my favourite part of the film is Thor. Instead of the usual dog's role in a horror film as a victim or villain, he's the hero. I love when dogs have a major role in fiction (Einstein in Watchers is one of my all-time favourite characters) Plus Thor is adorable and reminded me of my German Shepherd, Chuck.

Bad Moon is a pretty good werewolf flick and I would recommend it to any dog lovers.

Rating: 4/5

No comments: