Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Best of 2009

2009 has finally come to an end and I say good riddance! It was a pretty lousy year for me and I'm ready to start over fresh with 2010. But it was a pretty good year for horror films. Here are my top five favourites from 2009.

5. Night of the Creeps

Okay, I know I'm cheating here, but this is one of my favourite horror movies of all time and it FINALLY was released on DVD this year. No more having to fast forward through commercials on my crappy taped-from-TV VHS version. Night of the Creeps is a humorous flick that encompasses several different B movie genres; it has aliens, slugs that turn people into zombies and an axe wielding maniac. The DVD has loads of special features, which includes lots of deleted scenes.




4. My Bloody Valentine 3D

I know that this film doesn't have many fans, but I really enjoyed it. It was the first movie I've ever seen in 3D and I had so much fun, even though I ducked when the pickaxes got thrown at me and felt like an idiot. I thought this remake was just as good as the original, especially since it had an interesting plot instead of the usual teens partying and getting killed.






3. The Butterfly Effect 3: Revelations

I loved the first Butterfly Effect and thought this one was even better (you can skip the second one though, it sucked). It's similar to the first one, but it adds horror elements to the time travel plot. A young man uses his ability to time travel to solve gruesome murders, but ends up becoming implicated in the crimes. This film had one of the most original twist I've ever seen. My jaw literally dropped and I could not believe what I was seeing. The ending was depressing, but not as much as the alternate ending to the first film (strangling himself while in the womb so that he's never born? really?).


2. Orphan

Killer kids is one of my favourite horror subgenres. So I set my expectations high when I watched it and Orphan exceeded them. It was a very creepy and atmospheric horror film and although it was slow at times, it gradually built to a great conclusion and had a shocking twist. This film reminded me of one of the best books I read last year, The Godsend by Bernard Taylor. At times I just wanted to shake the parents for being so oblivious, especially the father.




1. Drag Me to Hell

What a shocker, Drag me to Hell is at the top of my list. It's been near the top of all the lists I've read and although I wanted my list to be different from the others, Drag Me to Hell is just a damn good movie.

Honourable Mentions

Zombieland - Pretty funny film but it didn't feature enough zombies for this horror fan. But it still has the best cameo I've ever seen.

Trick 'r Treat - After all the hype, I wasn't amazed by this film, but it's still a solid anthology film.

No comments: