Thursday, December 31, 2009

My Favourite Films of the Decade

2009 is almost over, and since I just posted my Best of 2009, how about the Best of the Decade? Except I wouldn't really call these the best of the decade because it's my own opinion which I doubt anyone else will share... so I will just call this My Favourite Films of the Decade. I couldn't decide on just 10, so I chose 11.

11. 28 Days Later

I know not everyone likes fast zombies, but I like both. Slow zombies are creepy and classic, but fast zombies are freaky too. Imagine if a zombie was running full speed toward you... I would probably die because I can't run very fast. Anyway, this was an entertaining zombie flick.







10. Reeker

I love slashers and I'm always looking for ones with an interesting twist. And Reeker has one: the killer is some sort of decaying monster and the characters can tell when its coming near by its horrible stench.








9. May

This film has three of my favourite actors: Angela Bettis (Toolbox Murders, Carrie remake), Anna Faris (Scary Movie franchise) and Jeremy Sisto (Wrong Turn, Dead & Breakfast). And they all give fantastic performances in this odd film. I love the ending, it is creepy and original.







8. House of 1000 Corpses

I know everyone thinks The Devil's Rejects is better, and while I enjoyed that film (but can't watch it anymore because my roommate lent it out to someone and I never got it back), I love this film even more. It just has so many creepy scenes and is so messed up.







7. Dead End

This is another DVD which my roommate lent out and I never got back, which is unfortunate because I love this film. The hitchhiking woman ghost urban legend gets a creepy film treatment in Dead End. This is another film with a great twist ending.







6. High Tension

As I previously mentioned in this post, I love slashers, especially ones with twists. And High Tension is a well done slasher with a surprising twist ending.








5. Cabin Fever

Eli Roth's first film was one of the first DVDs I ever bought (it was all about the VHS before that) and I really enjoyed it. I even watched all the special features on it. I love Eli Roth's Rotten Fruit animated shorts. Cabin Fever has tons of gore, a bit of humour and Rider Strong!







4. 2001 Maniacs

Backwoods/cannibal/inbred hick movies are my favourite horror subgenre, and this film was a great addition to it. Featuring inventive and gory deaths, horror cameos (Eli Roth and Robert Englund) and hilarious dialogue, this was a fun flick and I really enjoyed it.







3. Wrong Turn

The same goes for this film as with 2001 Maniacs. I just can't get enough inbred hicks. And these ones were deformed and looked like monsters; like Deliverance x 10. And it also features my favourite scream king, Jeremy Sisto. The sequel is every bit as good as the original, with even more gore. I have yet to see the third film.






2. Ginger Snaps
I love werewolf movies and this one is my favourite. Katherine Isabelle (Freddy vs. Jason, Carrie remake) and Emily Perkins (It, Supernatural) are great actresses and two of my favourite scream queens. I loved the outcast/goth main characters and how becoming a werewolf was linked to Ginger getting her period. This film makes me proud to be a Canadian.







1. The Descent

Having watched horror movies my whole life, I have become desensitized to them and rarely get scared. But this is one film that actually scared me. I had a hard time breathing while watching the claustrophobic scenes, jumped when I saw the monsters and had nightmares afterward. Neil Marshall's previous contribution to the horror genre, Dog Soldiers, was a great movie also.

No comments: