Thursday, August 27, 2009

MOVIE REVIEW: Devil's Diary

Today when I turned on the TV, I noticed a movie called Devil's Diary. I could tell it was a Canadian movie because it starred Alexz Johnson (from Canadian teen TV show Instant Star), Miriam McDonald (Emma from Degrassi: The Next Generation) and Deanna Casaluce (Alex on Degrassi). I'm obsessed with Degrassi, so I thought I would give it a chance. It turned out to be pretty good.

Ursula and Dominique, two high school outcasts and best friends, find a blank diary in a graveyard. Ursula takes it home and writes about how much she hates the head cheerleader and wishes she would break both her legs. The next day she actually does break both her legs, making Ursula realize that whatever evil things she writes in the diary will come true. So she uses the diary to get revenge on all her popular classmates. But the cheerleaders find out and steal the diary to use it to get back at them.

The plot reminded me a lot of The Craft because the outcast teens used the book to get back at the popular girls, like the witches in The Craft. And a bit of Mean Girls because once the popular girls got the diary, one of them used it to get rid of the head cheerleader and become the "Queen Bee." I didn't mind those similarities because I like both of those movies. If you don't enjoy teen dramas you might not like Devil's Diary because it's half teen drama, half horror movie.

One part of the plot I didn't enjoy was when Dominique went to priests for help. First of all, no teenager would go straight to a priest for help with the devil's diary. In general, a priest would be the last person a teen would go to for help. A normal person would've just thrown it in a fire or buried it, something along those lines. Secondly, of course the priest would be evil and waiting his whole life to get his hands on this book. That part of movie was so cliched. I guess you can't really have a movie about the devil without mentioning God, but I still think it was unnecessary.

The characters are the usual high school cliches: the clique of popular cheerleaders and jocks and the group of misfits, with Ursula resembling Avril Lavigne. But I did like the main character Dominique.

There's not much gore, but it's a TV movie so you can't really expect much. There were a couple scenes that grossed me out, but for the most part, the deaths take place off-screen.

Overall, Devil's Diary is an entertaining movie, especially if you're into teenybopper movies. I was going to give it a 4, but I hated the storyline with the priests too much. If you want to see some other teenage revenge flicks, check out Tamara and The Rage: Carrie 2. Oh, and if you're interested in seeing Devil's Diary, it's on youtube. I'll post the first part below, but there are nine other parts, which you can watch here.

Rating: 3/5

No comments: