Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The Best of 2008

Well 2008 has come to an end. Looking back, here are my picks for best movie, book and T.V. show of the year. I'm going to cheat and count everything I've seen/read this year, not necessarily just stuff that was released this year. Instead of doing a best and worst list of 2008, I'm just mentioning the best. I don't want to remember 2008 that way. :)

MOVIE: The Strangers

I never saw this in the theatre and actually didn't get to see it until it came out on DVD a few months ago. I jumped every time one of the masked killers' faces popped up in the window. The atmosphere is just so creepy. I haven't been this creeped out by a movie since The Descent, which came out in 2005, so it's been awhile.

Honourable Mention: Cloverfield

I did get to see this movie in the theatre. My boyfriend (who hates horror movies) actually went with me. Even though I felt sick after this movie because of the shakiness of the camera, I still enjoyed it. Or it may have been all the candy and popcorn I ate, I'm not really sure...

BOOK (Fiction): The Jigsaw Man by Gord Rollo

If you just scroll down a bit, you'll see my review for Gord Rollo's first novel, which I loved. Anyone who hasn't read it yet should go pick it up. I promise you won't be disappointed. It's a modern Frankenstein story that is fast-paced and has intriguing characters.

BOOK (Non-Fiction): The Book of Lists: Horror by Amy Wallace, Del Howison and Scott Bradley

Again, you can read my full review by scrolling down and see how much I enjoyed this book. Whenever I'm bored, I just pick it up and read a few lists from it. Hopefully I'm going to get around to seeing/reading some movies/books mentioned in this book.

Honourable Mention: The Godsend by Bernard Taylor

Although this book was published in 1976, I wanted to include it because everyone needs to know what a great writer Bernard Taylor is and check out his works. This was one of the best books I've read this year. It's a creepy killer kid story.

T.V. SHOW: Scream Queens

I was so addicted to this reality show this year, and usually I don't even like reality shows. But when horror and reality shows combine it equals one interesting show. And there's more horror-reality on the way. 13: Fear Is Real starts Wednesday, January 7 at 8 p.m. on the CW. It's produced by Sam Raimi and is supposed to be like a slasher movie, with a contestant "killed" each week. I can't wait to see it! Anyway, for anyone who missed out on Scream Queens here's the premise: actresses compete in horror film-related challenges to win a major role in Saw VI. I'm not a big fan of the Saw movies, but I think I'll check it out just to see how well the winner does in it. Especially since my favourite won, for once.

Honourable Mention: Fear Itself

I really enjoyed this anthology series and thought it had some creepy episodes. Unfortunately, NBC won't be airing it anymore. It was picked up by FEARnet, but I live in Canada and don't get that channel.

1 comment:

FDC Movies said...

this is very good and informative site i love your all content and had great time to visit your site .
.thanks for this great information and keep posting good and informative content good luck