Tuesday, December 9, 2008

MOVIE REVIEW: Critters 2: The Main Course

When I was a kid I saw a movie that terrified me. All I could remember for years was that a young girl puts her Easter eggs under her bed when she goes to sleep and monsters hatch from the eggs. I've been trying to find out what it is for a long time and I finally found it.

Last week I bought Critters 2 at the Thrift Store for $1.00. As soon as I got home I watched it, and to my surprise it was the movie I've been searching for all these years!

I can understand why it scared me so much when I was a kid. In one scene the Sheriff, dressed up as the Easter Bunny, has Krites (the critters) crawl inside his costume and eat him. And the scene I previously mentioned with Easter eggs hatching into monsters.

For anyone who hasn't seen any of the Critters films, they're about the Krites, who are aliens with a taste for meat. The Krites escape from an intergalactic jail, steal a spaceship and head to Earth in the first film. Then bounty hunters, who hunt aliens that escape to Earth, head to our planet to capture the Krites. But as we find out in the second film, they missed a few.

It wasn't as good as I remembered (nothing ever is) and it wasn't scary at all, but I still enjoyed it. The scenes I've already mentioned are pretty much all the gore in the film. Which is surprising for a movie about monsters who eat humans. They'll eat any kind of meat, so for most of the film they're eating meat other than the human variety.

The Krites have some of the best lines, spouting hilarious quips. Of course we can't understand what the aliens are saying, so there are subtitles for when the Krites are speaking gibberish.

Dee Wallace and M. Emmet Walsh don't return in this sequel, but Scott Grimes does.

Critters 2 is more than just a horror film. It's also an enjoyable sci-fi and a comedy. It entertained me and made me laugh, and also terrified me as a youngster, so I give it 4/5.

Rating: 4/5

No comments: