Friday, July 23, 2010

MOVIE REVIEW: Borderland

Watching this movie made me realize how awful it will be to watch films without my mom. Her love of horror is the reason I got into it. Everyone I know is a chicken and refuses to watch them with me. Oh well, enough of the sob story, onto the review.

I've wanted to see this film for ages because I heard it's one of the better Horrorfest flicks and I love Rider Strong. It was released as a part of After Dark Horrorfest 2007, so it's only been out for three years.

The After Dark Horrorfest films always have intrigued me because they're "too graphic, too disturbing, and too shocking for general audiences". Or so they claim during the previews of the Horrorfest flicks. And it's exciting to have eight brand-new, never before seen horror films released all at once. Unfortunately, the few I've seen have been hit and miss. I still want to watch them all, though.

Borderland
wasn't a complete miss, but I'm still disappointed after having sky-high expectations.

Based on true events which took place in 1989, Borderland tells the story of three college graduates who head to Mexico to party. But when one of them goes missing, the fun stops and their search for their friend leads them to a Satanic cult.

The plot isn't anything new, but the fact that it actually happened is chilling. And despite a few scenes of brutal violence, this film could be considered more of a drama or thriller.

But my biggest complaint is that Borderland takes awhile for something exciting to happen, and even then the pace is sporadic.

The performances are great, especially from Rider Strong, who I know as my crush on Boy Meets World, but most horror fans should know him from Cabin Fever. Apparently Sean Astin plays a bad guy in this film as well, but I didn't even notice until I looked up Borderland on Imdb later. If you're not familiar with Astin, I think he was Sam (?) in Lord of the Rings (not sure of his name because I'm not a big LOTR fan), but I know him best as Dave in Encino Man.

While it wasn't horrible, it wasn't great and I don't highly recommend it. It would make an okay rental, just don't set your expectations too high like I did.

Rating: 3/5

6 comments:

-Lou said...

C'mon, Sean Astin is "Rudy" all the way!

I'd heard the same thing about "Borderland"- that it was one of the better films in the series - and was a little let down with how slow it was.

I usually grab used copies of the After Dark films at random as I come across them in the used/dump bins and yeah, they're a mixed bag. I've certainly not seen any that are "too disturbing for the general public" or whatever the promo angle is. A few have been worth the watch but generally speaking they're nothing I'd pay full price for.

Heather Santrous said...

I had my comment all ready to go and lost my net before I could publish it. Hate it when that happens.

I didn't care for the way After Dark promoted their movies. I have to admit though that it worked. It got people in the seats for that first year at least. I tell people to forget the "too disturbing" crap and just enjoy the movies for what they are.

I also notice a lot of people saying what you did about each set, that they are hit and miss. I agree that they are, but shouldn't that be expected? They might all be from our favorite genre, but to ask us to enjoy all 8 is a bit much. I enjoy the After Dark films. I look forward to each new set that comes out.

As for Borderland, it was my favorite out of the set it came from. If I remember right, I thought this one was the weakest set so far. I don't mind a slow movie so long as it keeps me interested in it. If you haven't watched Lake Mungo yet, I would suggest that one to you.

I saw Sean Astin's name in the credits so was looking for him. Even thought I was, I didn't realize it was him at first once he did appear. He looked like a bigger guy that I remembered him from other films, so I think that is what threw me off at first. It has been a long time since I watched it, but I'm thinking he was one of the last bad guys to get killed.

KentAllard said...

I thought Borderland was one of the better After Dark Horrorfest movies, which is a little sad. If you like Rider Strong, you'll probably end up watching Tooth and Nail if you haven't already, which is my least liked of the bunch.

Melissa Helwig said...

Bleaux - I've never seen Rudy. I'm not really a sports movie person.

Yeah, well I just bought a bunch of them so hopefully they won't be took bad.

Heather - Yeah, that's true. If I watched any eight random horror movies, there would probably only be a few that I liked. But for some reason I expect more from the After Dark Horrorfest movies. Maybe because their previews are so creepy and effective. They make them all look so awesome and then I expect them to be amazing, but get let down most of the time.

I haven't seen Lake Mungo yet, but I'll check it out. Thanks.

Yeah, Sean Astin looks different in Borderland than I remember him from other movies, but I still can't believe I didn't recognize him.

Kent - I haven't seen Tooth and Nail yet, but now that I know Rider Strong is in it I'll have to check it out.

Sadako said...

Rider Strong? Reason enough for me!

Anonymous said...

Melissa, you are the second recipient ever of the "You Scare Me" Horror Blogger Award!
http://trickortreatpete.blogspot.com/2010/07/petunia-scareums-you-scare-me-horror.html
Dreaded Dreams
Petunia Scareum