Sunday, January 31, 2010

R.L. STINE BOOK OF THE WEEK: Goosebumps: The Girl Who Cried Monster

She's got the monster of all problems!

From the back cover:

SHE'S TELLING THE TRUTH...
BUT NO ONE BELIEVES HER!


Lucy likes to tell monster stories. She's told so many that her friends and family are sick of it.

Then one day, Lucy discovers a real, live monster: the librarian in charge of the summer reading program.

Too bad Lucy's told so many monster tales.

Too bad no one believes a word she says.

Too bad the monster knows who she is...

...and is coming after her next.

My thoughts:

In my post announcing the R.L. Stine Book of the Week, I mentioned that The Girl Who Cried Monster is one of my favourite Goosebumps books, mostly because of the crazy twist ending. And I was lucky enough to find it for 50 cents at a thrift store.

It was just as good as I remembered. Even though it seems all Goosebumps books have the same characters (the main character who has a bratty younger sibling, a platonic friend of the opposite sex, brief appearances from parents and some sort of monster), I could still relate to the main character, Lucy. I remember when I was younger and would have boring summers where I ended up reading the whole time.

The Girl Who Cried Monster is suspenseful and creepy, maybe even too creepy for some children, and it has a very unsettling ending. It only took me an hour to read it because I wanted to see what happened next. Or maybe because it's only 100 pages long with 14 pt. font....

Rating: 5/5

PG gore: "Mr. Mortman held the turtle higher, studying it with his bulging, rolling eyes. He held it up to the sunlight. The turtle's legs continued to move.

Then he popped the turtle into his mouth.

I heard the crack of the shell as Mr. Mortman bit down.

He chewed noisily, several times, making a loud crunch with each chew. Then I saw him swallow once, twice, till he got it down. "

Published in: 1993

Evident by references to: Super Nintendo, a camera which uses film (?) and has a viewfinder (?)

Next week: Fear Street: Secret Admirer

No comments: