Wednesday, November 11, 2009

MOVIE REVIEW: Paranormal Activity

After everyone telling me "Oh my God, you have to see Paranormal Activity! It's the scariest movie I've ever seen!", I set my expectations high and got ready to be scared tonight. But guess what? I never got the least bit scared. I did get pretty bored though.

When Katie and Micah experience supernatural happenings in their home, they decide to film everything.

And some of the events they film are creepy, but those things are few and far between. Weird things happen at night, and then the scenes filmed in the day just show them reacting to what happened the night before. It's incredibly slow, due to the fact that it barely has a plot.

The aspect of Paranormal Activity which grated on my nerves was its repetitiveness. Go to bed. Sheets move. Wake up. Freak out. Repeat. It was just the same thing over and over again, with an occasional change to the creepy thing happening at night, to mix it up a bit.

But the subject matter is scary. Having a presence in your home - that you can't see - terrorize you, is scary. And a few of the scenes creeped me out, but not enough for me to say that the movie scared me.

Don't fall for the hype surrounding Paranormal Activity. If you do, you'll probably end up disappointed like me. If you go into it thinking that it's not that great, you might end up enjoying it more than I did. But I seem to be part of the minority thinking that it's overrated. It's not bad, but it's boring at times, and not scary enough.

Rating: 3/5

1 comment:

The Monster Librarian said...

Melissa,

I enjoy your reviews and was wondering if you would be interested in reviewing more horror books. If so please e-mail me at monsterlibrarian@monsterlibrarian.com.
Best wishes,
The Monster Librarian