Saturday, October 21, 2017

10 Years in 10 Books

In celebration of the 10th anniversary of Dewey's Readathon, for this challenge I'm supposed to pick one book recommendation for each year of the readathon (which started in 2007). These are all five star reads (in my opinion) and I highly recommend all of them. They're all horror, so if you're looking for a spooky read for Halloween, any of these would do nicely.


2007 - Ghoul by Brian Keene

Brian Keene is one of my favourite writers and this is my favourite of his books. It's a coming of age story set in the 80s where three friends discover a ghoul living in the cemetery while building a clubhouse one summer. I love coming of age stories and this is one of the best I've read. Ghoul was also made into a film for the Chiller TV channel.



2008 - Population Zero by Wrath James White

A very gory book about an activist who takes the growing population matter into his own hands. I remember reading this book in one sitting because I couldn't put it down. 



2009 - Audrey's Door by Sarah Langan

Very good haunted house story reminiscent of The Haunting of Hill House and Rosemary's Baby



2010 - Dweller by Jeff Strand

I remember loving and hating this book at the same time because I bawled my eyes out at the end, but I guess if I was so emotionally invested in the characters to cry over them, it must've been a pretty good book. Dweller is about a boy who befriends a bigfoot-like monster in the woods. 




2011- Samson and Denial by Robert Ford

A very unique horror story - part crime thriller involving the Russian mafia and part supernatural horror story involving a mummified head. 


2012 - Die, You Bastard! Die! by Jan Kozlowski 

A fast-paced read that's a bit like a book version of I Spit on Your Grave. In this book, a woman gets revenge on her father, who molested her. 




2013 - Doctor Sleep by Stephen King

I loved this book just as much (maybe even more) than The Shining. This sequel follows Danny Torrance as he meets a little girl who also has the shining and tries to save her from a group of psychic vampires. 


2014 - Linden Manor by Catherine Cavendish

This book was part of Samhain Publishing's gothic horror anthology, which consisted of four novellas. A very creepy gothic horror story where the main character visits an old mansion to find out the origin of a nursery rhyme. 



2015 - A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay

An original twist on an exorcism story. The rave reviews are right, this book is amazing. 



2016 - Children of the Dark by Jonathan Janz

Another coming of age tale, this one about an escaped serial killer and bloodthirsty creatures in the woods. I loved this book so much, I hope there's a sequel!


2017 - Paperbacks From Hell by Grady Hendrix and Will Errickson

I know this list is supposed to be 10 books, but even though 2017 isn't over yet, I already know this is my favourite book of the year. I just finished reading it and I already want to re-read it. I have added so many books to my wishlist thanks to this book. The only thing I don't like about it is that now everyone is looking for those books too and now they're going to be harder to find (a book that has been on my wishlist for years went from $5 to $200!). 

No comments: