Saturday, January 27, 2018

24 in 48 Update

So far, I've read for 7 hours 45 minutes and I've finished two books, Ladies' Night by Jack Ketchum and Truth or Dare by R.L. Stine.

Jack Ketchum is one of my favourite writers and I was devastated earlier this week when I found out that he passed away. The Girl Next Door is my all-time favourite horror novel - it's the most disturbing book I've ever read and if you're a horror fan and haven't read it yet, then you should read it immediately. I highly recommend all of his novels, in addition to The Girl Next Door, Off Season, Red, Right to Life, Stranglehold and his short collection, Peaceable Kingdom are all excellent. The Girl Next Door, Red, Offspring, The Lost, The Woman and short story "The Box" were all made into great films as well ("The Box" was a segment in the film, XX).

There are still a few Ketchum books I haven't read yet, so I decided to read one this weekend, Ladies' Night. It's a gory and fun book about a toxic spill in New York City that basically turns all the women into zombies. If women going insane and murdering men in gruesome ways is your idea of a fun read, then I definitely recommend this book. I thought it was a very entertaining read.

Truth or Dare by R.L. Stine is a Fear Street book that takes place outside Shadyside in rich girl's ski cabin - or mansion - where a group of high school kids get snowed in...with a KILLER! I actually thought this was a pretty good Fear Street book, it's one of the few where I didn't guess the identity of the killer.

OK, back to reading now. I'm currently reading Woman in White by Kristin Dearborn and really enjoying it.

1 comment:

Martin Berman-Gorvine said...

I'm also a Jack Ketchum fun thanks to reading The Girl Next Door. I had the privilege of meeting him at the 2016 World Horror Convention, and I can say he was very lovely in person to me, a new writer in the field. He is gone too soon.