Wednesday, January 28, 2009

BOOK REVIEW: Red by Jack Ketchum

Since I reviewed the film Red based on Jack Ketchum's novel yesterday, I thought I should review the book. I don't have much to add because the film was on par with the book, and almost identical, but I'll try.

Here's my plot summary from yesterday's review:

During an attempted robbery, three teens shoot a man's dog for kicks. But that dog was the best thing in Avery Ludlow's life and he's not going to let them get away with it. He wants justice for Red and he's going to get it no matter what it takes.

What I love about Jack Ketchum is that all of his novels are realistic. I could see any of his plots happening to myself, which makes them even scarier.

And Red is no exception. Loving and losing an animal is something everyone can relate to, making it easy to understand how Ludlow feels. It will really tug at your heartstrings when Red dies. I teared up and had to stop reading because I was in public.

The book moves slowly and there isn't much action, but it doesn't matter because Avery Ludlow and his attempts to get the boys to confess is interesting. And when there is action, it's definitely worth the wait.

The characters are well-developed. I was rooting for Ludlow and was livid with the boys and their parents, praying for their comeuppance.

Even though I really enjoyed the movie, I would say that the book is a tiny bit better than the film. Just because it gives the characters more depth and I liked the ending better.

Rating: 4.5/5

No comments: